John Wilkes Booth Escape Route Driving Tour

Photographs by Mike Lynaugh 2007


This is the Mary Surratt Boarding House located at the corner of 6th & H streets in downtown DC.  This is supposedly where Booth and his accomplices plotted the kidnapping of President Lincoln.



This is the historical marker located on the Chinese restaurant that used to be Mary Surratt's boarding  house in downtown DC.


Ford's Theatre - This is where it all happened on April 14, 1865 at 10:15pm.


This is a photo of President Lincoln's booth at Ford's Theatre.  It has been restored to look the same today as it did when the President was assassinated


This view shows how far John Wilkes Booth had to jump after assassinating President Lincoln.


Close-up photograph of President Lincoln's balcony at Ford's Theatre


Another view of how far John Wilkes Booth jumped after assassinating the President


Ford's Theatre sign outside the theatre


Another outside view of Ford's Theatre



Historical marker outside of Mary Surratt's tavern in Clinton, Maryland.


Another historical marker at the Surratt House and Tavern


Mary Surratt's house and tavern in Clinton, Maryland (used to be known as Surrattsville)


I took this one to show the urban sprawl around the would never know that not all that long ago this was considered in the middle of nowhere.


The Surratt House and Tavern sign outside the home.


This is the side of the house where men would enter to go to the tavern, or to receive their mail (pre-war) - The US Gov't was suspicious of the Surratt's and removed the post office from this location as the Civil War broke out.


Historical marker in the garden next to the Surratt House and Tavern.


This is the first room you see when entering through the tavern entrance.  It is set up today as the old post office.  It would also be used as the entrance for the tavern.


The main room in the main house.  The table on the bottom right of the frame is original to Mary Surratt.


Another view of the main room in the Surratt House.  The desk on the right and the table on the left are both original to Mary Surratt.


Portrait of Mary Surratt that hangs in the main hallway in the home.  This painting did not hang here when Mrs. Surratt occupied the home.


This is the main table in the tavern.  It is where the men of the area would come and have a meal and drink.


This is the family dining room in the home.  It is also where women would eat if they came to visit.  It was not appropriate for women to be seen with men in the tavern.


This wall is hollow and is where John Wilkes Booth and John Surratt hid two repeating rifles for when they would need them with their plot.  You will see in a later photo where the guns were hidden, but the Military broke this wall here and confiscated one of Booth's weapons that were still here after the assassination.


This is the kitchen in the Surratt House.


Another view of the kitchen in the Surratt House and Tavern.


The main entry hall at the Surratt House and Tavern.


This was Mary Surratt's bedroom.


This is the guest room in the home where visitors could stay for 25 cents a night.


The guide explained to us that Booth and John Surratt hid 2 Spencer Carbines down the hollow wall here and suspended them from a rope up here in the attic.


Here is a full view of the attic of the Surratt House.


It was down this space next to the wall that John Wilkes Booth hid his weapons that he would need as he made his escape after killing Lincoln.  The reason the military was able to get one of the rifles was that one of the two rifles slipped and fell back down the hole and was not able to be retrieved in time.  He had to leave with only the one rifle.


Outside view of  the Mary Surratt House and Tavern.


Mary Surratt House and Tavern.


Mary Surratt House and Tavern


This is a model of Ford's Theatre that is in the small museum at the Surratt House.


Small model of the execution of the conspirators at the Washington Navy yard.


Model of Dr. Samuel Mudd's house


Model of the Surratt House and Tavern.


Dr. Samuel Mudd's house


This is located behind Dr. Mudd's house showing where Booth and David Herold fled after leaving here.


Dr. Samuel Mudd's House in Waldorf, Maryland.  John Wilkes Booth and David Herold stopped here after getting their weapons from the Surratt House and Tavern.  Dr. Mudd, who supposedly was unaware of the assassination the night before, set Booth's broken leg here, and let the men rest here for 8 hours as they were escaping capture.


Dr. Mudd's House


This is the view behind Dr. Mudd's house.


Dr. Mudd's House


I found this attached to the barn behind Dr. Mudd's house. 


The original tombstone for Dr. Samuel Mudd.  (Notice that it states Dr. Mudd died aged 48 years).


Dr. Mudd's House


Dr. Mudd's House


This is the main view of Dr. Mudd's house as you approach it from Dr. Samuel Mudd Road.


History marker at Dr. Mudd's home explaining what happened at this location.


History marker at Dr. Mudd's house.


History marker at Dr. Mudd's house.


This is Dr. Mudd's final resting place at St. Mary's Church - Note on this stone, it states Dr. Mudd lived to be 49 years old...his original headstone shown above states 48 years.


St. Mary's Church.  It was here that Dr. Mudd had met John Wilkes Booth in November of 1864, four months before he would come to him for help with his broken leg after assassinating President Lincoln.


After leaving Dr. Mudd's house, Booth and Herold came here to Rich Hill to seek assistance from Samuel Cox on April 16, 1865.  They spent the next 5 days hiding near here in the woods. 


History marker explaining exactly what happened here at Rich Hill / Samuel Cox's home.



This is Samuel Cox's home.  It is privatley owned, and you can not get closer than this without permission.  It has changed quite a bit since it looked like the photo in the historical marker above.  Mr. Cox sent Booth and Herold food and newspapers while they hid in the nearby woods.


After leaving Samuel Cox's home, Booth and Herold fled to "The Pine Thicket".  Next to the historical marker for it I noticed this old tavern that has this sign outside of it.


This is the same tavern as the previous photograph.


Historical marker near the pine thicket where Booth and Herold hid from April 16 - 21, 1865.


The former Collins House located at 9185 Wills Street, right down the end of the street from the thicket of woods where Booth and Herold hid for the 5 days.


Historical marker by the thicket in which Booth and Herold hid for 5 days.  It was here that Booth received newspapers where he read that his act had been universally detested, and he wrote entries into his diary about the assassination.


This is the actual thicket of woods where the two men hid from the Union Calvary searching for them.


This is "Huckleberry"  it is a privately owned home now, at this cottage, former Confederate agent Thomas A. Jones lived.  Jones was the adopted son of Samuel Cox and he led Booth and Herold to the Potomac River to help in their crossing.


Historical marker at Huckleberry


Historical marker where Booth and Herold crossed the Potomac River for their escape into Virginia.


This is the view of the Potomac River from the Crossing historical marker.


The banks of the Potomac River near where Booth and Herold set forth to cross into Virginia.


I took this photo on the bridge on 301 crossing from Maryland to Virginia.  It shows how wide the Potomac River is where Booth crossed.  On the right is Maryland, and on the left is Virginia.


This is the Quesenberry House, it was the home of Elizabeth Quesenberry who prepared food for Booth and Herold.  This home is right on the banks of the Virginia side of the Potomac River.  You can see boats behind her home.


Historical marker at Cleydael


This is Cleydael, the former home of Richard Stuart in King George County, Virginia.  When Booth and Herold arrived here on April 23, 1865, Dr. Stuart was aware of the assassination of Lincoln and refused to help the assassins.


This is the Peyton House (built around 1795) which was the home of Sarah Jane Peyton who was home when John Wilkes Booth and David Herold arrived on the afternoon of April 23, 1865.  Sarah Jane initally let Booth and Herold enter the home, but then decided that since the man of the house was not home, it was not appropriate to have two gentleman in her parlor, so she sent them over to the Garrett Farm.


Another view of the Peyton House.


Close up view of the Peyton House


Historical marker at the Peyton House


Another view of the Peyton House


The Peyton House


The Peyton House


The Peyton House


This is as far as Booth got.  This is the historical marker at the Garrett Farm where Booth and Herold were finally tracked down by the Union Calvary.  They were trapped in Garrett's barn, and since they would not give up, the cavalry set fire to the barn to force them to come out.  David Herold came running out, but Booth refused.  He could be seen inside the barn and was shot through the neck by Boston Corbett.  Booth was carried out of the burning barn and carried over to the porch on the front of Garrett's house, where he died soon afterwards.


We made it!


This sign is across the street from the historical marker for the Garrett farm


This is all that remains of where Garrett's farmhouse once stood, and John Wilkes Booth died.  The only evidence of anything ever being here is a clearing, and a sign stating you are not permitted to search for relics.